Thursday, July 22, 2010

Savvy Blogging Summit Report

Finally, the Savvy Blogging post. I'm sure I may discuss it again- there was SO much stuffed into that conference that my head is still spinning.

I am so glad I went to the Savvy Blogging Summit. I learned more in those three days about blogging than I think I've picked up on my own over the years. I met several women who have been blogging for a few months to many years, and it was great to meet them. I was so nervous about going to a conference. When I started this blog, I never really expected it to go anywhere. Now I'm attending conferences? It just felt like a crazy dream. It made all of you (my readers) more real to me. It made me realize that this is more than a little ole' blog to me.

The Summit taught me many things that I never thought of when I thought of my blog. For example, legal issues. There are a remarkable amount of legal issues that exist when you blog! The law class was worth my admission alone.

I also learned that I know next to nothing about html and CSS. Well, I actually knew that already, but it was confirmed during that class. Anything even remotely fancy on this site is my husband's doing. However, taking the class inspired me to want to LEARN about this stuff more. I could do so much more with my blog if I knew the smallest amount of html/CSS. Somebody (if it's you, claim credit in the comments!) said that they were so lost in the html/CSS class that it was like listening to Charlie Brown's teacher talk. I could relate!

I don't post many pictures on this blog, and part of the reason is that I don't feel I take very good ones. I may experiment with some of the ideas (like buying an inexpensive clamp light at a place like Home Depot), but I can't promise that I'll add more of my own pictures. We'll see on that one.

I also learned why everyone is into Vista Print business cards. I got the free ones and got compliments on them all week. So cute! I think I'll have to become a Vista Print loyalist. :)

My mind is swirling with all the information, and I think it will take me months to fully process it. However, I came out of the weekend with some solid, workable goals for my blog, along with new friends who totally get what blogging is...and why I do it.

If you want to read more about the Summit, you can check out the Twitter Hashtag of #sbsummit here.

2 comments:

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

IMO, don't even worry about having good photos. Just have photos. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a good photographer, but I don't let that stop me from sharing pictures on my blog. Most photos that people take are decent enough to share.

Rosemary said...

So good to hear more about the conference. I'd be interested in hearing more details about the legal issues you learned about...mostly because now I'm worried that I'm violating something without even knowing it!