Saturday, December 16, 2006

Frugal Fridays

I love Frugal Friday at Crystal's blog! This week she is asking others to answer questions, so here I go!

1. What is the best resource for frugality you've found (book, magazine, website, etc.)?

Without a doubt, The Complete Tightwad Gazette. It was the first book I found that did not cater to yuppies who were trying to downscale their lifestyle and/or stay at home moms.

2. What is the best deal you've gotten recently?

This fireplace screen. We have a fireplace at the house, so I've been looking for fireplace things. I got it yesterday at Goodwill, new in an unopened box, for 10 dollars. What a blessing!

3. What is your best idea for a creative and inexpensive gift?

Hmmm. This is one place I'm always stumped. This year, my sister asked for necessities rather than just stuff, so I got a big basket at Goodwill and filled with toothpaste, toothbrushes, rolls of toilet paper, mouthwash, boxes of tampons, shampoo, body wash, etc. Most of the stuff was very, very cheap or even free though coupon use and/or Walgreens Free After Rebate stuff. Including the basket, I spent less than five dollars on it.

I sometimes bake cookies or other treats and fix them up in tins I bought at thrift stores. This is cute and very inexpensive.

Throughout the year, I look for cute little gifts like candles that are still in the wrapping at yard sales, or clearance items, and I give those away as well.

I'm not big on homemade gifts, but that's mostly because my sewing skills are iffy, and I don't knit very well yet. I would love to give away scarves or something some year, and often see yarn at yard sales and thrift stores.

Have a happy day everyone!

1 comment:

Naomi Haverland said...

I just wrote a frooglish post about gift wrapping. You might find in interesting.
We don't have the Goodwill here and I miss it terribly. I used to get my kids' Christmas gifts from there, cause they never cared about them being second hand!