Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Combine Those Coupons With Sales!

Here's another way to illustrate how using coupons and sales and store promotions can really help your grocery budget...




Dillons paid me .87 cents to walk out the door with these groceries!

This week there is a sale where if you buy ten of any number of items, you will get two dollars off your order. There was also a pharmacy coupon in the paper this week. Bring in the coupon and transfer a prescription or bring a new prescription to their pharmacy, you get 20 dollars worth of groceries. (It is put on your Dillons card and is automatically taken off at the register.) I had a prescription that I needed to transfer anyway, so I did that today. I also did the buy ten items/get 2 dollars off thing. I also had tons of pretty good coupons and there were several good sales this week.

(Click the picture to enlarge)


Unfortunately, the two dollars did not come off as it was supposed to. I pointed this out to the cashier, who said that she thought it did not come off because my total was so low after coupons. I stood firm and said that it did not come off before I ran my coupons, as it usually does, and she called a manager over. Since I had indeed bought ten items from the promotion items, and they could not figure out why it was not working, the manager just gave me two dollars in cash! I put 1.13 on my gift card. With the two dollars the manager gave me, they paid me .87 cents to come to their store today. WOO HOO!

8 comments:

Stephanie Appleton said...

That is incredible! And I thought I did well a few weeks ago when I saved over 40%! I am in awe!

Amy said...

Wow, you should be so proud of yourself. Kroger was running an awesome deal last week and I went to the store four times so they could give me the instant $7 each time I bought eight Kraft products. I wish we had one of those stores near us! Great job!

G.G. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
G.G. said...

I just discovered your blog and have read through your archives. I love it! Although I doubt I can (or even want to) put all of your frugal tips into play in my household, I definitely want to adopt a few. I signed up for the 4 week trial at Grocery Game and let's see what happens. I am 33 y/o and live in Pennsylvania with my boyfriend. We just moved in together and I cook dinner six nights a week, we usually treat ourselves to dinner out on one weekend night. Okay, sometimes two! Our grocery bill averages $100 a month and I want to try and trim it. Problem is, my guy absolutely loves meat so that's one of the reasons our bill is usually high. Sorry for the rambling, I really only wanted to say great blog and I'm truly inspired!!

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Stephanie- This was a great day for me! However, saving 60% is common for me. To do this, I almost never buy anything that's not on sale, even fruit or meat. I wait for the markdowns and we eat our fresh stuff in the few days after I buy it. It took awhile before we had enough in reserve that we could do this, but the savings are worth it to me. I don't think 40% is anything to sneeze at either! That adds up over time.

Amy- I had that deal here too! (Dillons is owned by Kroger) I have a freezer full of cheese and cream cheese now. That was one of the Best! Sales! EVER!

Thanks for the comment, GG! You may try watching for manager markdowns on meat. Usually it is when it is about to expire, but it can be frozen for ages after that point. That's where I get most of our meat, and it helps our bill a lot! We don't eat much meat, but since I started doing that, our bill did go down a considerable amount. Meat is expensive!

My name is Michelle. said...

Ok, I admit I *love* this. I'm going to look more around your blog when I have some time, but is there any kind of quick tips you can give for organizing the coupons? That is my weakness. I'll clip them, and they're everywhere, and I end up not using them.

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Michelle,

I use Crystal's method that she outlined on Biblical Womanhood. It's basically a plastic tub with envelopes with items listed on it. My husband calls it my coupons suitcase! I'll write a blog on this later today and try to find her link as well. I did a quick check, but could not find it. Some people use the binder method. I'll try to find directions for that as well. I tried that, but it did not work for me. :)

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.