One of the basic tenants of frugality is to waste not, want not. In this case, I want to not be wasting the tons and tons of Easter ham I have leftover! I hate having the same thing over and over and over, so I try to reuse items in a creative way.
One of the easiest ways for me to deal with tons of leftover meat, like a ham or turkey, is to cut it up the day after into usable portions. I saved some of our ham in a ziplock bag in slices for sandwiches, and cubed the rest. It does take time, but in the long run it is so worth it.
I bought my foodsaver on E-bay for about $60, and it was one of the best things I have ever bought. I was initially skeptical, but I use the thing all the time, and it really does keep food fresher and non-freezer burned for longer. I buy the Wal-Mart generic sealer bags (Great Value) and find that they are of better quality and much easier to deal with than the food saver bags. It is one of the few things I still go to Wal-Mart for.
Tonight we will be having this Spinach Rice Ham Bake for supper. I am making some modifications. I am using 4 oz bargain bleu cheese 4 oz sharp cheddar, and I am not using my microwave. I am melting it on the stove. I am also adding some broccoli, since I don't have enough spinach. It's all about using what you have!
Since my husband loves Popeye Pie so much, that will be on the menu in the coming month as well. Since I am curious, I am going to keep a tally of how many meals I get out of this one ham. As of today, we will be at two- Easter dinner and tonight's casserole. I will not include my husband and the roommate's lunches, as they pack their own and I don't want to hover over their shoulders asking how much ham they're eating.
3 comments:
Here's a really good leftover ham idea, and it can be cheap if you shop sales. Take cubed ham in a frying pan and heat it up. I like it to get a little crispy on the sides. Add 1/2 - 1 bag of Broccoli Slaw (buy it BOGO, or use coupons, whatever.. or save your broccoli stems and carrots and make it yourself?) and cook until that gets a little soft and yummy. Then add some scoops of Ricotta cheese (again, buy on sale or with coupons).
It's really yummy! My mom sometimes does the same thing with ham & broccoli slaw and then she breaks some eggs into it and mixes it up but I don't eat eggs so I don't do that :)
A single friend of ours made this recipe a couple of years ago and it has become a family staple. It is easily adaptable to whatever leftovers you have in the fridge.
Chop up the ham in tiny cubes, chop some green onion, open a can of sliced mushrooms (if you like them). Cook some rice (leftover cold rice is preferable because essentially this is a fried rice recipe). Saute the ham, onion and mushroom in a skillet until heated through. Add the rice. Cook until hot. Push rice to one side and add 1 or 2 beaten eggs to the skillet. Cook eggs through, then stir all ingredients together. Season with soy sauce to taste.
Very yummy!
Don't forget to use the bone for some yummy soup!
Post a Comment