Sunday, September 30, 2007

Product Review: Dawn Simple Pleasures

Dish soap is one area where I don't like to buy the super cheap generics. They often seem a little too watered down for my taste. Usually I go for Crystal White Octagon, but when I can get quality name brands like Dawn for a great price, I stock up. Dawn soap really does live up to it's one drop promise, and they often have lovely scents.

A great inexpensive way to make your home seem cozy and inviting is through scents. I'm always looking for ways to make my home seem more inviting, and I'm always very concerned about how it smells, since I have a mini zoo of small animals and a dog, so I was very excited to try Dawn Simple Pleasures. Dawn Simple Pleasures has quality Dawn soap with a small air freshener at the base of the bottle. They have three scents: Apple & Pear, Lemon & Tangerine, and Water Lily & Jasmine.

The soap was the same high quality Dawn, and the soap's scent was pleasant. I was very pleased with the bottle's new shape as well. It was smaller than most of the soaps I buy, which contributed to a less cluttered look. I was excited about the air freshener- I love adding scents to my home via nice smelling cleaning products and scented candles. I had high hopes for the air freshening Dawn.

Sadly, my hopes were quickly crushed. When I peeled off the air freshening sticker covering the vent, I was assaulted with an overwhelming wall of sticky sweet scent. It was lemon, tangerine...and something else I could not quite describe. It was VERY strong. I figured the scent would fade a bit after a day or two, so I left it.

The next morning I could smell the freshener long before I got to my kitchen, and not in a good way. The whole upstairs of my home was drenched in lemony tangerine perfume. Our roommate was not pleased with how strong it was. He said he could smell it before he got all the way up the stairs, and he did not find the scent pleasant. I ended up trying to get the scent part off the bottle, and when I failed at that, I simply placed some clear tape over the scent vents. Even with the tape over it, we can still smell it, but it is not nearly as strong. It was quite nice smelling when the scent was not invading my entire upstairs. Dawn would have to tone down the scent in this product quite a bit before I bought it. Love the soap, hate the air freshener!

Have any of you tried this product? Leave a comment and let me what you thought of it!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have this soap right now too - and I too am disappointed, but for the opposite reason as you. Mind hardly smells at all! I want scent, and even the soap itself has barely a scent at all. I am trying the Water Lily and Jasmine. Maybe I need to try a different one. I just love Dawn - dish soap is the one thing I don't do frugally. Love when there's a coupon and/or a sale, but I buy Dawn no matter what. I figure as much as I hate doing dishes (no dishwasher at our house other than my two hands) I might as well make it as good as I can.

Kacie said...

When I read: "Dish soap is one area where I don't like to buy the super cheap generics. They often seem a little too watered down for my taste" I laughed--I pictured you tasting the soap! Haha...I know what you mean, though.

I haven't tried Simple Pleasures, and I doubt I will, now, for the crazy scent!

Anonymous said...

Try the Method dish soap brands. Target has them on sale all the time. The smell is good as is the cleaning power.

Shari
http://twotimesthefun.blogspot.com

Name: Jenni said...

I too pictured you tasting the soap!

Just wanted to give you an idea for making money for your $3000 goal. Have you tried Get Paid To/Survey Sites? I have made over $50 in 3 days on just one site! They are so easy, contact me for tips for 100% credit Check it out at:
http://revolutionoffers.com/members/register.php?ref=JDallmann

Good luck with your goal!

Amy said...

Thanks for letting us know how bad it was. They asked to send me some and I haven't replied. Don't think I will be requesting this product for review- yuck!

Swan said...

Horrible smell!! which even caused my kid allergic to the smell.Didn't know what was going on inside the house.Finally realised and threw it away.Horrible Product.I tried Apple and Pear and suggest not to buy this ever.