Thursday, May 15, 2008

Hopping on the bike

The weather was nice this morning, and gas is creeping up, so I decided to ride my bike to work today.

As I rode, I reflected on how much we miss in our cars. Here's what I experienced today that I miss in my car commute, both good and bad:

  • The smells! They had just cut the grass yesterday and it still had that fresh smell. There were also some not-so-fresh smells here are there as well.
  • The quiet. I did not listen to the radio or talk to anybody who may be sharing my car.
  • The garbage. I did not realise just how much litter was blowing around on my route to work.
  • Interacting with the front gate guards at my work. I've always waved to them as I flashed my ID, but today I actually talked to them for a few moments. It was kind of neat to connect to these people who I see every single work day, but know very little about.
  • The exercise- After riding 5 miles each way today, I think I'll skip the gym.
  • The heat. I'm not somebody who does hot very gracefully. I know that if I commuted on a regular basis, the heat and wind would really get to me.
  • Helmet hair. I had to do a few emergency fix ups in the bathroom before I sat down at my desk.
  • The feeling of accomplishment. I did not spend any extra, I exercised, I will be even more encouraged to pack a lunch- there are not many places in biking distance from my work.

It was just interesting to change my perspective for that short thirty minute ride. And I also saw how easy it was. It did not take that much longer to bike in than it does to drive, and biking is far better for my health and wallet. Plus I got to use my cute bike basket that I picked up at a yard sale last year for my lunch and purse and water.

With rising gas prices, have you considered any alternative transportation options? Share the good, the bad, and the ugly in the comments!

4 comments:

Jenny's Vegcafe said...

Good for you! Do you bag your lunch everyday anyway?
I've been putting a bug in my husband's ear to check out the bus routes on his way to work. He commutes 30 minutes each way so there's no way he could ride a bike.
I've been thinking too about how much extra time we'll spend hanging out in our own neighborhood during the week. I normally try to plan my outings in advance but those spur of the moment 'let's drive somewhere' feelings will have to be replaced by 'let's take a walk.'

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Jenny,

Yep, I bag my lunch almost everyday. If I rode my bike, the temptation to leave for lunch would be even less, as there is no place near enough to ride to and be back in time. :)

My husband also has a 20 minute drive to work, no real way to ride, and no bus that goes there. I'm glad I have the option to at least ride my bike if I want to!

I love the "let's take a walk" idea. We'll have to use that next time we're feeling restless, instead of taking a drive.

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about getting my bike (which I haven't used regularly since early college) checked out and fixed up. I don't work, but I could probably use it for some local errands - library, a few things at the grocery store, etc. I know there's no way for my husband to bike. Maybe seeing your post will be enough to get me to locate the bike rack so I can take the bike to the shop. :)

For now, I'm just trying to think ahead and group my errands so I don't drive more than I need to.

Jennifer

DramaMama said...

We started a blog about how we are hoping to use our bikes as a primary mode of transportation this summer. http://100bikemiles.blogspot.com Glad to read about others' adventures! Good luck!