I love tuna. It's such an excellent, healthy, inexpensive protein source, and you can do so much with it! The two things I make most often are tuna salad and tuna cheddar chowder.
Tuna salad is easy, versatile, and very forgiving. I usually use a little bit of mayonnaise and chopped dill pickles, but anything you find yummy can be used. For a pretty presentation, use a hollowed out tomato (chop the tomato and mix it in with the salad) and scoop the tuna in. It's also good for sandwiches. I sometimes put the tuna on the bread, slap a slice of cheese on it, and pop it in the toaster oven for tuna melts.
Tuna Cheddar Chowder is one of my favorite winter soups. I first read about it in the Tightwad Gazette, and I'll be honest with you- when I first saw it, I thought it sounded kind of gross. I don't remember what made me try it, but it was so tasty that it has become one of my favorite quick dinners, especially on cold, dreary days. It has such basic ingredients that I usually have everything on hand. Add a salad and you have a tasty meal!
Tuna Cheddar Chowder
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 6 1/2 oz can of tuna fish, drained and flaked
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed (I often leave this out)
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
In a large saucepan, saute the carrots and onions in the butter until onion is transparent. Mix in the flour. Add the chicken broth and milk. Heat and stir constantly until thick and bubbling. Add the tuna, celery seed, whoreestershire sauce, and salt. Heat through. Add the cheese and stir until it melts. Serves four.
5 comments:
Mmmmm....tuna! I am a tuna junkie! Our favorite tuna meal are our faux crab cakes. Sometimes I bake them and sometimes I make them on the stove top. Pair them with a side of grits made in chicken broth and a yummy veggie, and its an inexpensive meal that lasts at least 2 nights.
i am SO not the cooking type, but even i want to try this. i need a collection of very easy, very tasty foods to make for my family--thanks so much for the recipe!
Yummy! I love tuna and I love cheddar. Is there a better combination? I think not!
Thanks so much for linking to this for the "Frugal Food Series: Tuna". I've always eyed this recipe in the Tightwad Gazette myself, but never gotten around to trying it. I'll be saving it for the fall when a nice warm soup is welcome. . .
i love that chowder too!! the tightwad gazette is the best! I've been re-reading it for several weeks! I could read it every year! it is SOOOO helpful!!
Post a Comment