Thursday, July 31, 2008

Frugal Friday: Dry Erase Bill Tracking

Here's a very simple tip that has probably saved my husband and I hundreds in late fees since we've gotten married: A dry erase board.

Not long after we got married, we bought an inexpensive Dry Erase Board and a set ofmarkers. We hung it right in our kitchen and we look at it every single day. I don't know about you and your family, but both my husband can be scatterbrained at times. If I don't write it down, it does not exist! Since late payments have hefty fees and decimate credit ratings, we figured that a $20-30 dollar investment in markers and a board would be well worth it for us, and so far it has! You can get these boards for $20 or less places like Wal-Mart or Target. We did find that higher quality dry erase markers seem to last longer, but even the cheap-o ones will last a year. Write down due dates, put it where it will be seen, and kiss late fees goodbye!

See more ideas here.

Also, Crystal is still having her E-book sale- On Thursday it is 8.97, by Friday it will be up to 11.97, but still well worth it for the amount of books, courses, and audio books you get! Check it out!

5 comments:

Audra Krell said...

I'm the same way, if I don't write it down, forget it. But once I do write it down, it's pretty much burned onto my brain.

Anonymous said...

Great idea. Do you also try to automate your bill paying through your bank? This saves on having to buy stamps.

mommagurl32 said...

This is a great idea! I am going to have to try this! I have bought a desk calendar for this purpose but sometimes get ignored. Thats why your idea is so much better!

The Pennywise Parent said...

This is a good idea. Our system was to get "ahead" of our bills and pay them twice a month only (my husband is paid every two weeks). We know which bills are taken out of the first and second check. So, we stack the incoming bills in two piles and pay them far ahead of the due date. The getting "ahead" part was the only difficulty, at first, because we truly needed a month's money before the month began. Does that make sense?

I've always been amazed by the bravery of people who use their white board for another purpose...to chart their debt reduction. Talk about living out loud! :)

Niki Jolene said...

Clever! I have to write it all out myself.

:)

Great blog!