Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Sale Meat-o-Rama!


The lovely assortment you see here cost a mere 11.96, thanks to coupons and reduced for quick sale meats. Homeland is doubling dollar coupons this week, and I had several for the sausage. It ended up being free. The other meats were reduced. I usually would not have bought the brats, but my husband has been wanting some, so when I saw those half off, I was on it!

We don't eat sausage for breakfast. We use it in things, like soups, casseroles, etc. For us, meat is usually used as flavoring, not as the main dish. We do have exceptions, like meatloaf.

Since we have a lot of hamburger we got on sale, I will make meatloaf soon.

Here's our meatloaf recipe:

1 lb of ground beef
1/2 lb sausage
8 oz can of tomato sauce
1/4 cup chili sauce
2 cups corn flakes
1/2 Tablespoon onion, chopped
2 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
bacon strips (1-3)

LINE A PAN WITH FOIL! Spray the foil well. Mix the hamburger, sausage, chili sauce, corn flakes, onion, eggs, and salt and pepper in a bowl. Make into a loaf shape. Place loaf in pan, pour tomato sauce over. Top with bacon strips. Cook at 350 degrees for approximately 90 minutes.

We serve it with baked potatoes (oven baked while the meatloaf is baking) and green beans. It makes excellent sandwiches the next day, too!

I am not a meatloaf person, but I LOVE my mother's meatloaf. My sister in law hates meatloaf, but she makes this one all the time. My friend hates meatloaf, but loves this one...you get it. It's a great way to heat up the house on a cold winter day too, since you have to run the oven so long. I keep thinking of trying to make it in my crockpot, but I'm not sure how to convert the recipe.

14 comments:

Michele said...

What an awesome deal!

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

Great Deal!! Also I love the idea of adding sausage to meatloaf. I love sausage. . . . I wonder why I never though of that myself!!

Naomi Haverland said...

Would frosted flakes work?

Kim C. said...

Sounds great - thanks for sharing. This is now in my "to try" file!

Unknown said...

Wow! What a great deal.

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Naomi- I think it would. I've used tons of weird things instead of corn flakes. It's just to stretch the meat, so you could always use more meat too.

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

I do have a foodsaver! I love it. I got it off E-bay and it was one of the best things I've ever bought. I was kind of iffy about buying one- thought it may be a waste of money, but I use it all the time.

Anonymous said...

I have two words for you... Meat Balls. With all that sausage the possibilities are endless.

I always use oatmeal in my meatloaf because I get it free. Is that just weird?

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

I hope you like it, DLFMom! It's a great thing to freeze as well. I don't know if your son takes his lunch to school or not, but if he does, they make great sandwiches!

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Fish- oatmeal is a great thing to use too. I've used it instead of the corn flakes. Not too weird, I think.

My mother used to grate carrots to mix into the meatloaf for extra nutrition. She has also put in chopped green peppers.

Anonymous said...

Oh, now I never thought of adding veggies! Sneaky! I'm on it! Especially with 5lbs of meat that needs to be frozen today.

Lydia said...

A few articles ago on my blog you mentioned buying second hand clothes, and the way people act when they think of having to cut expenses and wear such things. My question is, how would anyone know you are wearing discount clothing or second-hand clothing? If they are chosen in good taste, you can get designer clothes in these places. In our family, we always made sure the men had high quality store bought clothes. Their business depended on them wearing good clothing. The rest of the family either made new clothes, or bought at yard sales. We didn't mind at all, as it allowed us to afford the expensive suits for the men. If you make your clothes, they are brand new, designer.

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

LadyLydia- Exactly! You'd never know unless somebody told you! People only know I shop at Goodwill when they ask where I got something. They are always so shocked when I say Goodwill, then follow with "I could never shop there!" Why not? You just said you love my shirt, and that's where I got it!

Amy K. said...

Re: Converting to crockpot

I think you'd just line the crockput with foil, leaving enough foil up the sides of the pot to use as handles for removing the loaf.

There's a great slowcooker mailing list on yahoo:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/slowcooker/

and I've seen a few meatloaf recipes in the archives - they might be a good starting point for your adaptation.

And I never would have thought of corn flakes, though I'd heard the shredded carrot, and oatmeal ideas before!