Monday, February 12, 2007

Coupon Organization: Now With Pictures!

went through several coupon organization systems before I finally found one that worked. I started with a little file folder I go at a dollar store. This worked for me for quite awhile, because I generally did not use many coupons. I figured that generic items were *always* cheaper, and I did not live in a place that doubled coupons.

When I became more serious about couponing, I did the binder system. This system works very well for a lot of people, but I hated it. I hated the binder system so much. I am not even sure why, but I was always, always annoyed with it. However, lots of people love it, so here's directions on how to do the binder system. I bought my baseball card separators at a dollar store. I used this system for quite awhile, until I discovered Crystal's system.

I cannot describe it as well as Crystal already has, so I shall point you to her directions. When I can get my camera working, I will post a picture of my coupon box. My husband lovingly refers to it as my "coupon suitcase." I always take it with me when I shop. It felt a little silly when I first started taking it to the store, but nobody has ever said anything about it. :) You never know when you'll hit manager markdowns. By combining coupons with markdowns, I often get items for next to nothing, and sometimes even free!

Here's my coupon box. I keep an extra box of envelopes and index cards in it. (The index cards are in the envelope box. There is also a small stapler to staple the index cards to the envelope, and a pen. I need to add a pair of scissors to it, and I'll be done. On the other side of the lid to my box, I have my name, phone number, and e-mail address in case the box is ever left behind at the store. Hopefully somebody will return it if that happens. The handle makes it easy to carry. The box fits in the front seat of the cart. I got the box at Big Lots when I was teaching in graduate school to help organize my side of the office. I don't remember what it cost. I do see these at yard sales and thrift stores from time to time.

Here's a close up view of my coupon box. I just use index cards that I staple into the envelopes. I arrange the items alphabetically, and it makes it easy for me to flip through.

6 comments:

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

You know, I used to use coupons all the time when I could shop at the commissary-the comissary prices usually were cheaper than the economy (I Know,I actually did a price comparison). Once we got out of the military and moved away from the comissary, I did my price book for the area we settled in and found that hands down Aldi and Price Chopper had the best prices on almost everything I needed. Added to that was the fact that I am not brand name loyal on many things at all. Well, it is just easier for me to shop at those two places 99% of the time and pick up the few other things (mostly diet related like Weight watchers bread and laughing cow cheese) that I never seem to see coupons for. So I've given up on the coupon thing. Plus we don't even get the paper anyway.

But this seems like a good review of the options, you should submit it to next weeks carnival!

My name is Michelle. said...

Thank you for posting that! I started my coupon clipping this past weekend. You're an inspiration.

Thrifty Lady said...

I just use a regular legal-size envelope, because I don't have very many coupons at one time.

I weed through coupons and share with friends all the coupons that I am less likely to use. I tend to not keep coupons for brands that are too expensive even with a discount. Yet some of my friends prefer those brands. And in turn, they share their coupons with me. Its very beneficial.

Amy said...

That is great! It is hard to find the situations that work best since everyone is so different. I am just diving back into couponing. Before I just shopped at Aldi, but I do see the benefits of couponing if I decide to shop somewhere else. Thanks a bunch!

Mom2fur said...

We all find what works best for us, don't we? I had the file folder, but now I have a different system. I use a binder...but I don't clip my coupons. I have page protectors (like you use in scrapbooking) and I put each circular in one, with the date on it. Since I belong to Grocerygame.com, and she gives dates, I just go to that page protector, pull out the circular and cut what I need. I find it saves me time, as I only clip coupons as I need them.

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

That's a great idea! Maybe the binder system would have worked better for me when I did the grocery game had I done it that way. I would love to hear about everybody's systems. It really is about what works for you- don't try to use somebody else's system if it does not work for you. :)