Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Travel Purse- Now with pictures!

My husband, roommate, and I are going to be taking a long planned trip starting this weekend. Here's one quick way to save money (and time!) when traveling- take a big purse! My mother did this when we traveled, and I have kept the tradition. In my Big Travel Purse I put snacks, a bottle or two of water, emergency rain ponchos (check the dollar store- I got two packs of two for a buck each), band aids, aspirin, tissues, toilet paper, travel guide, a few books (to pass the time in long lines), and other such items. If you buy souvenirs, you can throw them in the travel purse and eliminate hauling tons of bags across town.

The snacks and water really save money- it's too easy to shell out five or ten dollars apiece a few times a day for eh snacks. This saves time (no lines) and money. Some people have the attitude of "Oh, well you're on vacation, just spend the five bucks for the snack." I prefer to bring my own snacks and spend the money at something more exciting on the trip. Five dollars each a day would add up to $120 for a two week trip for my husband and I- that's a pretty nice night on the town!



For this trip I got a bag at Goodwill for 1.50. I decided to get this bag because it's not super feminine- it's just a small messenger bag. I'll rename it the Travel Bag and then the guys can help carry it around, and I won't feel like a pack mule.

Where are we going? The (shockingly unfrugal) location will be revealed Friday evening! Have a great day!

3 comments:

Mom2fur said...

I like your bag idea--especially the part of finding one that is not too feminine so the guys can help!
A friend taught me a trick for when you stay at a hotel or motel. Instead of paying $1.25 or more for soda or water from a machine...find a local grocery store and buy a bottle of soda. Then use the ice from the ice machine! As far as snacks, I might buy one or two things you can't get in a grocery (like Hawaiin Shaved Ice or a deep fried Snickers bar) as a special treat, but I agree most snacks are way too expensive to make it a habit.

Fishie said...

I love it! Travel bag!

I have lots of those totes they hand out at conventions (free!) of varying sizes; I may have to capitalize on them and drag them out of hiding in the closet for our next road trip.

And a mystery destination! I love it! YOu ought to make us guess.

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Oh yes...I will buy a special treat snack here and there! But we tend to walk/use public transport on trips (esp this one) and we get HUNGRY when we walk all day. I'd spend a total fortune if I bought a snack each time. Mmmm...tourist snacks. I'm a complete weakling when it comes to those big baked pretzels that you sometimes see sold out of booths on tourist strips.


Fish, that's a good idea! I may do that!