We're saving this week by skipping the grocery store and eating from our freezer. Last week I got some good markdown deals and had to rearrange the freezer to stuff it all in. Time to start eating from that stash!
We're also going to be having company soon, and have finally decided to break down and buy a guest bed. We've been having our poor guests sleep on a questionable air mattress. Until we bought the house, we moved so often and lived in very tiny spaces, so having an extra bed was out of the question. Now we have a whole house, but we rent out our unused space. We have a house four bedroom home, we're still living in a two bedroom situation.
Since we are not moving anytime in the foreseeable future, we decided to find a solution to our guest bed quandary. Our first though was to buy a high quality futon for our tiny upstairs office.
However, we were looking at futon prices and realized we could get a decent mattress for that price. So we measured and pictured how we could rearrange. This website helped with the visualization. We concluded that we could fit a mattress in our current office, so that's what we're going to do. We think our guests will appreciate being able to sleep on something that does not slowly deflate overnight. :)
Go here for more Super Savings Saturday posts, via MoneySavingMom!
5 comments:
oh we are in the need for a guest bed /kids bed too! smart thinking!
Thats really great that you finally got a bed for your guests. We decided to eat out of the freezer and pantry as well, but we will do it until the beginning of July. We have a big trip to Ohio on the 3rd so I won't shop until after we get back on the 6th.
I did a "freezer eat week" last week and made sure to grab the oldest stuff first. I am so glad I didn't let that stuff go to waste.
found you on moneysavingmom.
Just had to comment on your books in the sidebar...I love Dave Ramsey and also the Tightwad Gazette! Always nice to meet other fans!
Have a good week. :)
Rachel- good luck on your search!
Amiyrah- Ohio sounds fun! Isn't it wonderful to have such a stocked freezer that you can not shop for so long?
Travelgirldc- yes, the oldest stuff is first! That was part of my motivation- I realized that if I can't even close the door of the freezer, there was problably some chicken that was at least 5 months old hiding in the bottom...plus I need to defrost it.
Bargain babe- I LOVE those books. I attribute Tightwad Gazette with helping me be as frugal as I am today and the Dave Ramesey method is how we're paying off the student loans and mortgage. It really seems so much more possible when you're being 'gazelle intense!'
Post a Comment