Monday, February 05, 2007

Cost Breakdown Day Five: Eggplant Parmesan

We've come to the end of the cost breakdown series. If you have not been following along, check the end of this entry for the previous four days.

Tonight's dinner was a baked version of Eggplant Parmesan. It's very easy to make, and since I don't fry it, it is pretty darn healthy. Plus the guys love it!

Full Priced Eggplant Parmesan

1 eggplant (about 2 dollars)
1 jar spaghetti sauce (1.66 for Ragu)
1 cup mozzarella cheese (2.99 for 2 cups, so 1.49)
We did not have Parmesan, so I'm leaving it out of both calculations

Side of broccoli (2 dollars per bag of frozen broccoli)

Total: 7.15

Sale Priced Eggplant Parmesan

1 eggplant (on sale awhile ago for .50 cents- bought tons and froze them!)
1 jar spaghetti sauce (Ragu on sale +double coupon was .50 cents)
1 cup mozzarella cheese (.64 cents for two cups, so .32 )
We did not have Parmesan, so I'm leaving it out of both calculations

Side of broccoli (1 dollar on sale)

Total: 2.32

That's a difference of 4.83!

Watching coupons, finding cheaper alternatives, and watching sales do add up. In this five day cost comparison, I spent 14.71 to serve dinner to three adults. Most of these dinners had leftovers. This figure also includes ordering a pizza. There is no way I could serve dinner to three adults for five days for under five dollars a person if I did not watch the sales. If I had served the exact same menu with full price items, it would have cost 43.13. That's a difference of 28.42 for five days. I can save my family about 1300 dollars a year by shopping smart, while still eating healthy, homemade food and the occasional take out pizza! If I can do it, you can too.

Here's what else we at this week:

Day 1: Cheddar 'n Ham Loaf
Day 2: Onion Soup
Day 3: Baked Potatoes and Salad
Day 4: We ordered pizza!

4 comments:

Askazombiehousewife said...

If you are blessed to have an aldi near by. Used to have one before we moved it's a really cheap food store.

Anonymous said...

I love reading the price differences with the whole price and sale prices! It's a real eye opener.

I was doing so well before the holidays and then everything fell by the wayside. I need to get back to doing things the frugal way!

Sherry

Ruthie said...

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!! You ate such yummy food, too. I'm really impressed!

Lisa Knight said...

Love the menu! It is amazing how much extra people spend at the grocery store when they aren't prepared...

We made Ratatouille the other night I probably spent $6 buying all the ingredients, but we have eaten it for 4 different meals. (1 - Ratatouille & rice 2- deep dish pizza 3- eggs/omlets 4-soup) So we only spent about $2 a meal figuring in the extras to complete each dish....