Amy K asks:
I'm very curious: what are you going to do with all that cheese? Google says it doesn't freeze well, but it should stay just fine in the fridge and age nicely because it's cheddar...Could you do a post about what you're actually going to do, so I have ideas if I hit such a great deal?
Great question, Amy! Ask and you shall receive.
I chucked my .29 cent organic cheddar right in my freezer. I'm a freezer rebel, and I freeze all kinds of things that traditional wisdom say do not freeze well. I find that it is true that block cheese does not freeze all that well, but it depends on what you are using it for. If you want to slice it, I would not recommend freezing it. It will crumble when you try to slice it. However, if you are using it grated, go right ahead and freeze it. I pull one out to thaw in the fridge a day or two before I use it, and grate it in my food processor. I use it in all kinds of things.
Tonight we're having leftover salad with Tuna Cheddar Chowder. It melts just fine, even after it has been frozen.
Quesedillas, burritos, and tacos are good ways to use cheese, as are casseroles. I use this basic build a casserole recipe to use up leftovers and odd ingredients I get on super bargain.
We usually eat homemade pizza on Fridays. I'll use cheddar in place of mozzarella if that's all I have.
A little grated cheddar on eggs with toast is a yummy breakfast.
Other dairy products I freeze that I've been told does not freeze well- cottage cheese, sour cream, and cream cheese. The texture does change, but when I've these things in recipes, like casserole, quiche, or cheesecake, I've never noticed a difference. It all depends on what you are using the item for.
There must be other freezer rebels out there! What "do not freeze" items have you frozen? How has it turned out? Let me know in the comments or e-mail me at Frugal.Homemaker.Plus (at) gmail (dot) com!
11 comments:
I freeze cheese as well, but not sour cream. Thats a new one! Since sour cream is already "sour" you don't really have to worry about it, as long as its kept in the back of the fridge. I also enjoyed the link to the basic casserole. I posted a detailed article that I wrote on my blog about re-visiting the casserole, the parts of a casserole and the many examples you can use. I am the "casserole queen" and my readers wanted to know how I come up with the good ones that I make. You should check it out if you have time. Its under "recipes."
When I freeze cheese, I grate it ahead of time because it gets really crumbly when it thaws, making it difficult to work with. It's then very easy to just pull the quantity of cheese I want out of the bag.
Over ripe bananas freeze beautifully. Use them in muffins, cup cakes, milkshakes. Means you will never throw a black banana in the compost again!
I have frozen cheese in the past. We don't use alot of sour cream or cottage cheese except for when specifically bought, so I haven't had that issue. I haven't tried the cream cheese, although I have thought about it when it has gone on sale. I have frozen yogurt before and just eaten it as a frozen treat, although I have to say that I have also eaten it way past the date on the carton and haven't died yet.
We just got a great deal on delicious organic cheese. I just grate it onto a wax paper-covered cookie sheet and freeze it, then put it in a ziplock bag. At $1 a pound, I couldn't pass it up. I also freeze cream cheese, but it does change the texture.
I freeze bags of salad--the pre-washed, pre-cut kind, like bags of spinach or chard or whatever. You can't eat in salads anymore, because it's wilted when it thaws, but you can use it in cooking! It's awesome sauteed with garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice. And a little bit of (frozen, of course) parmesan cheese.
I love the idea of freezing salad spinich, etc. Hadn't thought of that.
I freeze grated cheese often. Great for pizzas. (I also freeze pizza crusts.)
Pretty much I'll try freezing anything I know we won't use otherwise. What can it hurt? It is important to remember to use the stuff though (and hopefully before you forget what it is). I sometimes go through and totally eat through the freezer, adapting my meal plan to what we have in there. Most things work out ok, especially in casseroles or soup.
Jennifer
I highly recommend the Tuna Cheddar Chowder. Since you posted it, about a year ago, I have made it many many times (it's a good last minute meal).
However, cheddar on homemade pizza? That's gross!
Wow this is great! Although my problem has been that things go into the freezer to die...just a stop over to the trash because I forget they are in there or don't know how old they are or if they are still safe. It's sad to see them as I put them in the disposal..they look awful, then they look and smell like they would have been fine! I'm trying to do better at this! Thanks...I always wondered about freezing cheese...if I did I chickened out and then threw it away. I always thought sour cream, as someone else said, was sour anyway so just kept it until it grew something! Freezing sounds better. I do know, for the person who eats expired yogurt, that I called Dannon once and they said what many companies agree on...it is good 7 days beyond the date, then it's just the acidophilus dies off. Freezing the prebagged salad...oh yeah what a GREAT idea! When one is getting close to the date and I see a bit of rust I freak...too much pressure! I make lots of "stoups" and that would be perfect...avoiding the guilt of waste! We are fairly newly retired (scary!)and I am on a frugal kick! I heard another tip I've yet to be brave enought o try. Instead of buying bagged salads...which I do because I can never get the washed greens dry enough and am lazy...you can rinse and spin them in your washer! Well, I'm concerned about residual detergent, softener...maybe dog hair! I bought a cotton zippered pillow liner I thought I might try putting the greens in there rinsed first and then just use the spin. Has anyone tried this? I heard it was great for parties when you have a ton of greens to wash! (I still think it is iffy on the sanitation end!) I love this blog and you've given me great ideas...going to check out the recipes now. Thanks!!!
I hate to post yet more but now I know why I love your blog!!! I just read your recipes from this entry. My Mom (now gone) saw Amy Dacycyzyn on TV when she first started out and bought me a subscription to the original Tightwad Gazette Newsletter. I have every single one in a binder...and experienced all those times and life changes right with her! She's the reason I got frugal then and we could retire early...although the times are getting scarier now! We moved to a fabulous area where we vacationed and live in a NICE Senior Park where I wow people with my tiny electric bills and confuse them with my dumpster diving in the recycle bin for coupons! How I loved Amy! Glad to see she inspires you too! You go girl!
I'm a cheese freezer, too. I also freeze whole gallons of milk when I get a really good deal. It takes a couple days to thaw. But, just shake it up to "remix."
Post a Comment